DC Gun Laws & How To Sell a Gun in DC
Gun laws in Washington D.C. are some of the most restrictive in the country. To make matters worse, residents of D.C. are represented by a delegate in the House of Representatives who cannot vote on the House floor. Further, D.C. residents are not represented in the United States Senate at all. One of the consequences of such a lack of representation is that law-abiding residents of D.C. have little to say about the D.C. gun laws that govern their lives.
CashMyGuns.com makes selling a gun in D.C. easy, legal and safe. In this article we describe the laws that regulate firearms transactions in D.C. and we provide an easy alternative to selling a gun in a D.C. gun store.
Washington D.C. Gun Laws: An Overview
Because the Senate and House collectively dictate the laws that govern D.C., the governing bodies often try to make D.C. an example for states to follow. As such, D.C. must abide by especially rigorous gun laws. As of 2018, the following laws restrict legal gun ownership in one way or another.
• Gun ownership in D.C. requires a valid registration certificate (Source One).
• The gun registration process is burdensome and requires a background check, a Statement of Eligibility and firearms safety training and testing (Source One).
• “Certain firearms [are] unregisterable, meaning they cannot be owned or possessed in the District, including assault weapons, .50 BMG rifles, machine guns and handguns not registered to the current owner prior to September 24, 1976, with certain limited exceptions, including the registration of handguns for self-defense within the registrant’s home,” says the Giffords Law Center (Source One).
• Large capacity ammunition magazines are outlawed in D.C. (Source One).
• Gun purchases require a 10-day waiting period (Source One).
• Citizens of D.C. who are not firearms dealers can only sell their guns to licensed dealers, and only when the unlicensed party has a registration certificate for the firearm (Source Two).
• Concealed carry licenses from other states are not honored in D.C. (Source Two).
• A standard pistol license costs $75 (Source Two).
• Firearm registration costs $13 (Source Two).
• Regarding the two fees above, if the applicant does not have fingerprints on files, an additional $35 is required (Source Two).
• Required training certificates cost between $275 and $340 (Source Two).
• Pistol permits can take up to 90 days to process (Source Two).
• Concealed carry license holders cannot carry more than 20 rounds of ammunition (Source Two).
• CCW holders are not permitted to carry guns in a vast number of places in D.C. (Source Two).
• Loaded guns cannot be carried in vehicles while in D.C. (Source Two).
Washington D.C. Gun Laws: Private Gun Sales
Private firearms transactions must be conducted through a licensed firearms dealer. A registration form must be filled out by the participants of the transaction as well as the firearms dealer. The dealer will conduct a background check on the party purchasing the firearm. The dealer will also retain a record of the sale (Source Two).
Washington D.C. Gun Laws: Dealer Gun Sales
Generally, handguns cannot be purchased in D.C. Federal law requires handguns to be purchased in the state in which a person lives. Because D.C. is not a state, residents must purchase their handguns elsewhere and then have them shipped to a D.C. gun dealer (Source Two).
Your Alternative to the D.C. Gun Store
We at Cash My Guns are licensed to buy and ship firearms under our Federal Firearms License (FFL), and we follow the rules laid out by the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). Our FFL allows us to help you sell your firearm without going to a D.C. firearms dealer in person.
of your own home using Cashmyguns.com.
We professionally appraise every firearm that comes to us. We can also help you identify your gun if you’re unsure of the make and model. Gun appraisals follow strict guidelines based on: make, model, metal finish, wood & composite finish, overall condition & functionality, rarity, and comparative sales. Our appraisals are always fair, and we are always willing to explain our value assessment upon request.
We pay for the shipping and transaction costs associated with selling a gun in a D.C. We pay to have the shipping supplies sent to you. Our firearm transfer methods are approved by the ATF and major shipping carriers. You save money in fees, not to mention the time and resources needed to sell a firearm private party in D.C.
We allow you to track your gun shipment during the entire process. You can feel safe knowing that your firearm will arrive at our warehouse quickly, safely and that you get paid.
Once your firearm has been received, we send you a check for an agreed-to value of the gun. We make it as easy as possible for you to sell your unwanted firearms at no cost. Cash My Guns is safe, legal, and hassle-free.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. CashMyGuns.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm. The cited information in this article was obtained on 09/26/18.”