How to Sell a Gun in Illinois
Illinois has stronger gun laws when compared to other places in the United States. With some of the strictest firearms regulations in the U.S., navigating them can be a stressful task. Current laws enacted in the state are meant to deter criminals from accessing guns, but simultaneously, can make it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to engage in legal gun transactions.
To avoid getting tripped up by confusing gun laws, CashMyGuns.com has created this guide to help lay out the relevant laws for buying, selling and transferring firearms.
The following information is compiled from the Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau
What are the Requirements to Purchase a Firearm in Illinois?
In order to purchase a firearm legally, the buyer must be 18 years old to purchase rifles, shotguns and ammunition. Buyers looking to purchase handguns must be at least 21 years old. All buyers must have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card. For more specific information on acquiring a FOID, visit https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FOID.aspx.
Before acquiring a firearm, check with local municipality for possible firearm ordinances. Some communities may have laws prohibiting possession of specific types of firearms and/or requiring that firearms be secured within the home. The Illinois State Police compiles these ordinances, when provided by the local municipalities, and provides them to the public via the internet at http://www.isp.state.il.us.
Anyone purchasing a firearm from a licensed firearms dealer must complete a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms form 4473 (firearms transaction form). This form will be maintained by the dealer. A firearms purchaser must, under the permanent provisions of the Federal Brady Law, also undergo a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check, which will be performed by the firearms dealer.
This check will indicate to the dealer whether the purchaser’s background allows for the person to complete the purchase of the firearm and notifies the Illinois State Police (ISP), Firearms Services Bureau to perform a background check in accordance with state and federal laws.
If the transaction is approved, the buyer must abide by the State of Illinois waiting period before taking possession of the firearm. The waiting period for a long gun is 24 hours and 72 hours for a handgun.
Upon taking possession of the firearm, the firearm must be unloaded and enclosed in a case to transport.
How to Conduct a Private Sale?
430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) – Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee’s or purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee’s or purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.
The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
View the entire Gun Safety and Responsibility Act on the Illinois General Assembly’s website at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/098-0508.htm.
Illinois Firearm Ownership Restrictions
In addition to federal restrictions on ownership of a firearm, Illinois has its own set of state restrictions. The following disqualifies a person from owning a firearm in Illinois:
- Not been adjudicated as a mental defective.
- Not been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness within the past 5 years.
- Not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
- Not within the past year (preceding the date of this application) used or been addicted to any controlled substance or narcotics in violation of state or federal law.
- Not subject of an existing Order of Protection or a No Contact/No Stalking Order.
- Not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
- Not been convicted of domestic battery (felony or misdemeanor), aggravated domestic battery or a substantially similar offense.
- Not been adjudicated by a court as a mental defective or ordered by a court, board or authorized entity to in-patient or out-patient mental health treatment.
- Not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States.
- Not within the past year failed a drug test for a drug for which I did not have a prescription.
- Not been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
- Never renounced my citizenship as a citizen of the United States.
- Never been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- Not a fugitive from justice.
FEDERAL DISQUALIFICATION CATEGORIES
- Conviction (felony or misdemeanor) where the crime has a maximum imprisonment term exceeding 1 year (even if a buyer did not receive actual imprisonment exceeding 1 year).
- Warrant (felony or out-of-state misdemeanor).
- Felony pre-trial release.
- Misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence restraining/stalking/protection order mental health adjudication or commitment.
- Unlawful use or addicted to a controlled substance (including marijuana).
- Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
- Renounced U.S. citizenship.
- Illegal alien.
Save the Hassle, Sell your Gun to CashMyGun.com
If the hassle of navigating Illinois’ gun laws seems overwhelming, we’re excited to tell you that there’s a better way!
You can safely, easily and legally sell your handgun or long gun to CashMyGuns.com and be 100% compliant with Illinois gun laws.
We have a Federal Firearms Licensee, who is licensed by the U.S. Government to help people with selling and transferring of firearms. We take care of the hard part and make the process safe, quick and hassle-free. The reality is you can sell your gun without leaving the house.
Just tell us which gun(s) you’d like to sell, we’ll make you an offer, and once we agree on a price, you’ll mail us your gun(s) with all expenses paid by us. When we receive your gun(s), we get you paid with a check in your hand within a few days.
When you use Cash My Guns, you get the following unbeatable benefits!
Fair price for your gun
Easy shipment tracking throughout the whole process
Begin our safe, discrete and legal process here.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. CashMyGuns.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm. The cited information in this article was obtained on 05/28/20 from https://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/firearms052104.pdf https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Home.aspx