How to Sell a Gun in Maryland
The State of Maryland has various firearm laws that affect the transfer or sale of a gun. If you’re thinking of selling your gun to a private party, you will need to be up to speed with the laws and regulations that the State imposes on transfers and sales. The following guide details a portion Maryland’s gun laws and provides resources so you can make sure your in compliance before selling your firearm.
Selling a Gun to a Private Party in Maryland
In order to sell a gun to a private party in Maryland (where both parties are not licensed dealers) you must adhere to a few restrictions.
Maryland deems handguns and assault weapons as “regulated firearms,” and therefore private sales of these firearms follow legislation that states:
- A person who is not a licensee may not sell, rent, transfer or purchase a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by a licensee to the Secretary
- As an alternative to completing a secondary sale (private party sale) of a regulated firearm through a licensee, a prospective seller, lessor, or transferor and a prospective purchaser, lessee, or transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency
A standard rifle and shotgun do not fall under the category of “regulated firearms.”
Other Restrictions on Gun Sales in Maryland
You cannot sell/transfer a regulated firearm to any person whom you know or have reasonable cause to believe is a prohibited purchaser under federal or state law. Under Maryland state law, a person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person:
- Has been convicted of a disqualifying crime
- Has been convicted of a violation classified as a common law crime and received a term of imprisonment of more than 2 years
- Is a fugitive from justice
- Is a habitual drunkard
- Is addicted to a controlled dangerous substance or is a habitual user
- Suffers from a mental disorder and has a history of violent behavior against the person or another
- Has been found incompetent to stand trial
- Has been found not criminally responsible
- Has been voluntarily admitted for more than 30 days to a facility defined in Section 10-101 of the Health – General Article
- Has been involuntarily committed to a facility as defined in Section 10-101 of the Health – General Article
- Is under the protection of a guardian appointed by a court, except for cases in which the appointment of a guardian is solely a result of a physical disability
- Is a respondent against whom:
- A current non ex parte civil protective order has been entered
- An order for protection has been issued by a court of another state or a Native American tribe and is in effect
- If under the age of 30 years at the time of possession, has been adjudicated delinquent by a juvenile court for an act that would be a disqualifying crime if committed by an adult
- If the person was previously convicted of:
- A crime of violence
- A violation of several sections in the Criminal Law Article outlined here
- An offense under the laws of another state or the United States that would constitute one of the crimes listed above if committed in this State
Get the Best Price for Your Gun Without Leaving Home
If the hassle of navigating Maryland’s gun laws seems overwhelming, we’re excited to tell you that there’s a better way!
You can safely, easily and legally sell your handgun or long gun to CashMyGuns.com and be 100% compliant with Maryland’s gun laws.
We have a Federal Firearms Licensee, who is licensed by the U.S. Government to help people with selling and transferring firearms. We take care of the hard part and make the process safe, quick and hassle-free. The reality is, you can sell your gun without leaving the house.
Just tell us which gun(s) you’d like to sell, we’ll make you an offer, and once we agree on a price, you’ll mail us your gun(s) with all expenses paid by us. When we receive your gun(s), we get you paid with a check in your hand within a few days.
When you use Cash My Guns, you get the following unbeatable benefits!
- Free gun appraisal
- Fair price for your gun
- Free shipping
- Easy shipment tracking throughout the whole process
- Speedy payment!
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. CashMyGuns.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm. The cited information in this article was obtained on 4/02/2020.”