How to Sell a Gun in Utah: A Comprehensive Guide
How to Sell a Gun in Utah: A Comprehensive Guide
Selling a gun in Utah requires knowledge of the state’s regulations to ensure gun owners are in compliance and don’t make any mistakes in the transaction. The state of Utah has various laws concerning the ownership, transfer and the carrying of firearms. When considering selling a gun in a private sale, buyers and sellers will want to be informed of the regulations surrounding firearms.
The following information is from a memorandum entitled Utah State Laws and Published Ordinances from the Utah Office of the Attorney General to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
What Selling Options do Gun Owners Have in Utah?
There are a few ways gun owners can sell a firearm in a legal transaction:
- Gun owners can sell a firearm to a local dealer. This is a good way to help ensure gun owners are complying with gun laws in Utah for firearm sales. However, sellers may be leaving money on the table by selling for much less than the gun’s actual market value.
- Gun owners can sell a firearm through a private transaction. In the state of Utah, there are no specific laws regulating private sales of firearms between two unlicensed individuals in Utah. However, there are criminal penalties for buyers and sellers if the firearm was sold to an ineligible person, selling a defaced firearm or selling a restricted firearm (explosive weapon, machine gun), which can result in different criminal charges including and up to a felony criminal charge. Here is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives guidance on the transfer of a firearm by private sellers.
- Another option if simply wanting to legally dispose of a firearm is surrendering it to local law enforcement. However, by doing this, gun owners potentially lose on hundreds or even thousands of dollars those guns could be worth in a sale.
What is the Process of Buying a Firearm from a Dealer in Utah?
Anyone purchasing a firearm from a licensed firearms dealer must complete a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms form 4473 (firearms transaction form). This form will be maintained by the dealer. A firearms purchaser must, under the permanent provisions of the Federal Brady Law, also undergo a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check, which will be performed by the firearms dealer.
The check will indicate to the dealer whether the purchaser’s background allows for the person to complete the purchase of the firearm.
Utah Firearm Ownership Restrictions
In order to purchase a firearm legally, the buyer must be 18 years old to purchase rifles, shotguns and ammunition. Buyers looking to purchase handguns must be at least 21 years old.
In Utah, state law restricts gun ownership for people with prior criminal convictions, mental health status, and protective orders. Exceptions are made for certain convictions that do not involve theft or fraud and cases where civil rights have been restored.
The law imposes penalties for restricted persons who intentionally or knowingly possess, purchase, transfer, or have custody or control of firearms or other dangerous weapons.
FEDERAL DISQUALIFICATION CATEGORIES
- Conviction (felony or misdemeanor) where the crime has a maximum imprisonment term exceeding 1 year (even if a buyer did not receive actual imprisonment exceeding 1 year).
- Warrant (felony or out-of-state misdemeanor).
- Felony pre-trial release.
- Misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence restraining/stalking/protection order mental health adjudication or commitment.
- Unlawful use or addicted to a controlled substance (including marijuana).
- Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
- Renounced U.S. citizenship.
- Illegal alien.
Save the Hassle, Sell your Gun to Dunlap Gun Buyers
If the hassle of navigating Utah’s gun laws seems overwhelming, we’re excited to tell you that there’s a better way!
You can safely, easily and legally sell your handgun or long gun to Dunlap Gun Buyers and be 100% compliant with Utah gun laws.
We have a Federal Firearms Licensee, who is licensed by the U.S. Government to help people with selling and transferring of firearms. We take care of the hard part and make the process safe, quick and hassle-free. The reality is, you can sell your gun without leaving the house.
Just tell us which gun(s) you’d like to sell, we’ll make you an offer, and once we agree on a price, you’ll mail us your gun(s) with all expenses paid by us. When we receive your gun(s), we get you paid with a check in your hand within a few days.
When you use Dunlap Gun Buyers, you get the following unbeatable benefits!
Easy shipment tracking throughout the whole process. Speedy payment!
Begin our safe and discrete process here.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. CashMyGuns.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm. The cited information in this article was obtained on 09/15/23 from https://www.atf.gov/file/117381/download,