Have a Brave Conversation
Have a Brave Conversation
When it comes to selling a firearm, we’ve helped thousands of good, law-abiding Americans get free appraisals and sell their guns the safe, legal, and hassle-free way. We live by the Golden Rule at Cash My Guns. The Golden Rule doesn’t just apply to saying nice things to people because we want nice things said to us. Living by the Golden Rule requires responsibility and discipline. In this article we’ll discuss the responsibility of keeping one another afloat, the higher standard of mental health that gun owners must accept, tips on achieving and maintaining mental health, and the heightened discipline it takes to own a gun while caring for ourselves and others.
Mental Health Is Everyone’s Responsibility
Many of us are reluctant to see our primary care doctor when we’re sick or injured, and most of us have experienced the ill consequences of waiting too long to seek treatment. Many physical ailments can get worse if we procrastinate treatment. Just ask anyone that tried to push through appendicitis only to then have their appendix burst. What should be an overnight stay to get an appendix safely removed can turn into a costly, painful, two-week stay in the hospital if treatment is not sought soon enough.
Procrastinating mental health can be just as detrimental as a burst appendix. Financial stress, personal relationships, hardship at work, and chemical imbalances in the brain are just a few of the causes for depression, anxiety and other mental health issues.
The burden of looking out for ourselves, friends, family, co-workers and even strangers falls on all of us. If you’ve been feeling down or anxious and can’t seem to shake those negative feelings, it shows strength to ask for help. Likewise, if you see someone struggling, it takes strength to open up and ask someone to be honest about how they are feeling. Although it can be uncomfortable to listen to someone else describe pain and hardship, just listening may save that person’s life.
Gun Owners Are Held to a Higher Standard
Owning a gun in the United States is a fundamental right and one that should not be taken lightly. Personal safety, home protection, hunting, and target shooting are just some of the practical uses for a gun.
Not all gun owners, though, understand the gravity of the decision to own a gun or guns. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), nearly two-thirds of all firearms-related deaths are suicides. Further, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the suicide rate for returning veterans is higher than non-veteran adults.
After adjusting for differences in age and sex, risk for suicide was 22 percent higher among Veterans when compared to U.S. non-Veteran adults. After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 19 percent higher among male Veterans when compared to U.S. non-Veteran adult men. After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 2.5 times higher among female Veterans when compared to U.S. non-Veteran adult women.
Proper gun storage isn’t just a good idea; it’s a matter of life and death. Project Childsafe, a program of the NSSF, works to reduce fatal firearms accidents through educational materials and free firearm safety kits. The Veterans Crisis Line is available to veterans and those concerned about a veteran.
Gun owners and non-gun owners must look out for one another. Public safety must be maintained by citizens, police, lawmakers, and governments alike. If you experience uneasy thoughts about your own gun or someone in possession of a gun, seeking assistance is easier than you think.
Easy Recipes for Mental Health
- Therapy comes in many forms: talk therapy, guided self-help, antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines, transcranial magnetic stimulation, medically administered ketamine and more. If one therapist or type of therapy does not deliver outstanding results, keep trying other options!
- Express your thoughts and feelings out loud. It might sound ridiculous, but voicing your inner monologue can mute the emotional side of your brain and turn on the logical side of your brain.
- Do not shame people for seeking treatment! It takes incredible strength to seek help, especially about something as intimate as mental health. Stigmatizing treatment for mental health only perpetuates the need for it. Treating minor mental illness is a great way to prevent major mental illness.
- Exercise! This one might seem cliché, but clinical science has said time and again that it works. Elevating your heart rate a couple times a week not only increases your physical health, it also builds confidence and aids in mental focus and clarity.
- Call it out when you see it (mental distress)! Many suicides can be prevented with a single act of kindness. Those that experience suicidal thoughts often feel isolated and that they are a burden to those around them. Just letting someone know that they aren’t enduring life alone can be enough to nudge them toward treatment.
Safety Is Paramount at Cash My Guns
As a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL), we at Cash My Guns know that owning a gun comes with safety and legal responsibilities. Proper storage, liability, registration and more are burdens that some people don’t wish to undertake.
When a person inherits a gun from a spouse or relative and doesn’t have the desire to retain ownership, it can be a burden to legally get rid of the gun or guns.
Those struggling with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), may also wish to temporarily relieve their homes of guns. If you or someone you know is struggling to return to normalcy after a traumatic event or events, there is absolutely no shame in selling your gun or guns to Cash My Guns. Once you or the person in your life has received treatment and is feeling better, visit our partner site at D4 Guns to restore your gun collection.
Not always, but sometimes, the easy choice is the best choice. Cash My Guns is the easiest way to relieve yourself of the responsibilities of gun ownership. We pay for the shipping and transaction costs associated with selling a gun.
Start the process today!