How to Sell a Gun in Idaho: A Comprehensive Guide
How to Sell a Gun in Idaho: A Comprehensive Guide
The process of selling a gun in Idaho can be difficult to navigate for the average person who is uninformed. Making a mistake during a firearm transaction can result in unintentionally breaking federal or state laws. It is important for buyers and sellers to be informed of the state and federal regulations surrounding guns in order to make a smooth transactions and avoid mistakes when buying and selling firearms. For this reason, Dunlap Gun Buyers is providing a summary on laws concerning laws on buying and selling of guns in Idaho to help ensure a smooth transaction for Idahoans.
The following information is compiled from a memorandum from the Idaho Office of Attorney General on Idaho State Laws and Published Ordinances to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
What Selling Options do Gun Owners Have in Idaho?
There are a few ways gun owners can sell a firearm in a legal transaction:
- Gun owners can sell their firearm to a local dealer. This is a good way to help ensure gun owners are complying with gun laws in Idaho for firearm sales. However, sellers may be leaving money on the table by selling for much less than the gun’s actual market value.
- Gun owners can sell a firearm through a private transaction. In the state of Idaho, there are no specific laws requiring a background check to buy or sell a firearm in a private transaction between two private individuals. However, there are penalties for buyers and sellers if the firearm was sold to an ineligible person, selling a defaced firearm or selling a restricted firearm (explosive weapon, machine gun), which can result in different criminal charges including and up to a felony criminal charge. Here is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives guidance on the transfer of a firearm by private sellers.
- Another option if simply wanting to legally dispose of a firearm is surrendering it to local law enforcement. However, by doing this, gun owners potentially lose on hundreds or even thousands of dollars those guns could be worth in a sale.
What is the Process of Buying a Firearm from a Dealer in Idaho?
Anyone buying a firearm from a licensed firearms dealer must complete a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms form 4473. The purchaser must, under the permanent provisions of the Federal Brady Law, also undergo a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check, which will be performed by the licensed firearms dealer.
The check will indicate to the dealer whether the purchaser’s background allows for the person to complete the purchase of the firearm. If the check disallows the sale for no warranted reason, there is an appeal process the purchaser can pursue to receive the necessary clearance to complete the purchase.
Idaho Firearm Ownership Restrictions
Generally, Idaho defaults to federal law regarding the sale and purchase of firearms.
In order to purchase a long gun or shotgun, a buyer must be 18 years old or older to legally purchase them and pass the background check. For shoppers looking to purchase a handgun, buyers must be at least 21 years old or older and pass the background check to legally buy the gun.
FEDERAL DISQUALIFICATION CATEGORIES
- Conviction (felony or misdemeanor) where the crime has a maximum imprisonment term exceeding 1 year (even if a buyer did not receive actual imprisonment exceeding 1 year).
- Warrant (felony or out-of-state misdemeanor).
- Felony pre-trial release.
- Misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence restraining/stalking/protection order mental health adjudication or commitment.
- Unlawful use or addicted to a controlled substance (including marijuana).
- Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
- Renounced U.S. citizenship.
- Illegal alien.
Save the Hassle, Sell your Gun to Dunlap Gun Buyers
If the hassle of navigating Idaho gun laws seems overwhelming, we’re excited to tell you that there’s a better way!
You can safely, easily and legally sell your handgun or long gun to Dunlap Gun Buyers and be 100% compliant with Idaho gun laws.
We have a Federal Firearms Licensee, who is licensed by the U.S. Government to help people with selling and transferring of firearms. We take care of the hard part and make the process safe, quick and hassle-free. The reality is you can sell your gun without leaving the house.
Just tell us which gun(s) you’d like to sell, we’ll make you an offer, and once we agree on a price, you’ll mail us your gun(s) with all expenses paid by us. When we receive your gun(s), we get you paid with a check in your hand within a few days.
When you use Dunlap Gun Buyers, you get the following unbeatable benefits!
Easy shipment tracking throughout the whole process. Speedy payment!
Begin our safe and discrete process here.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. CashMyGuns.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm. The cited information in this article was obtained on 09/07/23 from https://www.atf.gov/file/117211/download