How to Sell a Gun in West Virginia
West Virginia has a few restrictions that surround owning, selling and carrying firearms. If you are interested in selling your gun, you must become familiar with state and federal laws that concern this transaction. As each state differs in firearm laws, we compiled a few laws and restrictions to consider before deciding to sell your gun in West Virginia.
Selling a Gun to an Individual in West Virginia
West Virginia does not require a background check when the seller is not a licensed dealer, however, there are some restrictions for private party sales.
A person may not publicly display and offer for rent or sale to any passerby on any street, road or alley any deadly weapon, machine gun, submachine gun or other fully automatic weapon, any rifle, shotgun or ammunition for the same.
No person may knowingly sell, rent, give or lend a firearm to a person prohibited by federal or state law from possessing firearms (see “other restrictions” below).
Other Restrictions on Gun Sales and Transfers in West Virginia
In West Virginia there are also certain conditions that prevent you from owning a firearm.
You are prohibited from owning a firearm if you:
- Have been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
- Are habitually addicted to alcohol
- Are an unlawful user of or habitually addicted to any controlled substance
- Have been adjudicated to be mentally incompetent or who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution
- Are an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States
- Have been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions
- Are subject to a violent protective order (details under reference of Section 61-7-7 below)
- Have been convicted of a misdemeanor offense of assault or battery (under certain provisions)
- Have been convicted in this state or any other jurisdiction of a felony crime of violence against the person of another or a felony sexual offense
- Have been convicted in this state or any other jurisdiction of a felony controlled substance offense
Get the Best Price for Your Gun Without Leaving Home
If the hassle of navigating West Virginia’s gun laws seems overwhelming, we’re excited to tell you that there’s a better way!
You can safely, easily and legally sell your handgun or long gun to CashMyGuns.com and be 100% compliant with West Virginia gun laws.
We have a Federal Firearms Licensee, who is licensed by the U.S. Government to help people with selling and transferring of firearms. We take care of the hard part and make the process safe, quick and hassle-free. The reality is, you can sell your gun without leaving the house.
Just tell us which gun(s) you’d like to sell, we’ll make you an offer, and once we agree on a price, you’ll mail us your gun(s) with all expenses paid by us. When we receive your gun(s), we get you paid with a check in your hand within a few days.
When you use Cash My Guns, you get the following unbeatable benefits!
- Free gun appraisal
- Fair price for your gun
- Free shipping
- Easy shipment tracking throughout the whole process
- Speedy payment!
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. CashMyGuns.com has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult their local firearm law resources and/or an attorney when engaging in selling a firearm. The cited information in this article was obtained on 3/31/2020.”